Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cloth diaper inserts

I have been very busy these past 2 days making my own cloth diaper inserts.  So far I have made 24 inserts with 11 different combinations of absorbency.  I am still waiting for more fabric to come in, but I thought I would go ahead and get started.  The fabrics I used to make these inserts are organic bamboo fleece, microchamois and zorb.  The organic bamboo fleece I used is 85% bamboo and 15% cotton.  Bamboo is known for being naturally anti-bacterial, very absorbent and environmentally friendly.  The bamboo fleece is very soft and will stay soft even after all of the washes it will have to go through.  Microchamois is a fleece-like material that is super soft and goes next to the baby's skin.  It is considered a wicking fabric, so it will wick the moisture away from the baby's skin to keep them dry.  The zorb is a fairly new material.  It consists of tangled cellulose fibers from bamboo, cotton, viscose and poly micro fibers.  It is an extremely absorbent, yet compact, trim fabric.  I made 11 different combinations to test the absorbancy of the inserts so I know what works best for us and then I will make more of the best ones.  I will review the inserts and if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to make some for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment